Matchmaker, Matchmaker make me a match, find me a find, catch me a catch...
I love watching movies like "You've Got Mail" and musicals like "She Loves Me." Actually, those two are based off of "Shop Around the Corner." It's about two peple who hate each other at work but are actually corresponding with each other unknowingly. Eventually they get together in the end. Then, as the viewer, I think, "I knew those two would get together!" It's like watching a matchmaker's concoctions brew perfectly.
Then, of course, I think of everything that could go wrong and am reminded of a wonderful movie called "Clueless." Cher tries to set people up with each other and it blows up in her face. It's like playing God with other people's feelings and happiness, and frankly, that's too much responsibility.
So what's this compulsion that attached people have to set up their single friends? Is it a compulsion to meddle with other's people's lives in an effort to make them happy?
Perhaps there's a sort of selfishness to it. Just imagining all the 'couple' things the prospectively paired friend can now join in can make couples want to set up single friends. Or it's a way to bond and have something to talk about: "Hey, so how are things with (person I introduced to you)?"
And most of all, it's an entertaining time-killer, like watching a movie where you feel like a good friend is going to be happy in the end, and you're lucky enough to witness firsthand the happy process unfold one step at a time.
Then, of course, I think of everything that could go wrong and am reminded of a wonderful movie called "Clueless." Cher tries to set people up with each other and it blows up in her face. It's like playing God with other people's feelings and happiness, and frankly, that's too much responsibility.
So what's this compulsion that attached people have to set up their single friends? Is it a compulsion to meddle with other's people's lives in an effort to make them happy?
Perhaps there's a sort of selfishness to it. Just imagining all the 'couple' things the prospectively paired friend can now join in can make couples want to set up single friends. Or it's a way to bond and have something to talk about: "Hey, so how are things with (person I introduced to you)?"
And most of all, it's an entertaining time-killer, like watching a movie where you feel like a good friend is going to be happy in the end, and you're lucky enough to witness firsthand the happy process unfold one step at a time.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home